A great brand identity stems from a great brand strategy. (Don’t have a strategy? Follow our step-by-step guide to create one.) Everything from your brand voice to your visual identity must be aligned with your strategy to accurately communicate who you are.
Obviously, it can be a lot of work to build a strong identity, but it is an exciting creative challenge.
That said, it always helps to have a few useful tools and tips on hand to make the process a little easier. Over the years, our team has discovered more than a few, so we thought we’d share them with you. Whether you need help finding your brand personality or want to look at awesome logos for inspiration, we’ve rounded up some of our favorite tools and resources to help you build the best brand identity possible. We also organized everything by category to help you find what you need.
We hope these make your life easier—and if there are some great ones we missed, please feel free to let us know.
A caveat: There are a lot of tools and generators that are helpful to stimulate your creativity, especially if you’re feeling stuck. But we don’t recommend letting the robots do all the work for you. Remember that your goal is to build an original, authentic brand identity that helps you communicate with real humans.
Brand Identity Inspiration & Publications
- B Magazine: Every issue explores a different brand identity.
- Brand: An interesting international branding magazine.
- Brand New: A roundup of all things branding.
- Branding Magazine: News, inspiration, and more in the branding world.
- BranD Magazine: Great inspiration for designers.
- Brand Packaging: Publication devoted to branding and product packaging.
- Designing Brand Identity: Expert advice from designer Alina Wheeler.
- HOW Design Winners: Award-winning brand identity designs.
- “How to Create a Brand Identity”: Column Five’s step-by-step guide.
- Inspiration Grid: Great brand identity inspiration.
- Identity Designed: Unique brand identity showcase.
- Rebrand: Rebrand info, awards, and galleries.
- Standards Manual: Vintage brand manuals for inspiration.
- The Brand Gap: Great book by Marty Neuemeier.
- Transform Magazine: Publication dedicated to the art of the rebrand.
Brand Name Generators
- Visual Identity Awards: Award-winning brand design.
- Anadea: Brand name generator.
- Brand Bucket: Database of names with available URLs.
- Bust a Name: Domain maker tool.
- Brand Root: Helps you find names and URLs.
- Database of registered trademarks: United States Patent and Trademark Office database to see if a name is trademarked.
- Name Check: Tool to find out if a name is taken.
- Onym: Helpful naming exercises, word etymologies, vetting tips, and other stuff to help you find the best brand name.
- Panabee: Tool to search domain names, app names, and company names, get alternate suggestions, and see related terms.
- Shopify’s Business Name Generator: Ideas for brand names.
- USPTO guide to trademark basics: Details on how to trademark a name.
- Wordoid: Tool to make up words.
- Brand Personality Quiz: Helps you find your brand archetype.
- Brand Voice Quiz: Quiz to help uncover your brand voice.
- Guess the Brand Voice: Great example of brands with a strong voice.
- Adobe Capture CC: Helps you turn photos into color palettes.
- Branding color quiz: Quiz to find out what colors are good for your company.
- “Color Theory For Designers”: Smashing Magazine series on color, cultural symbolism, etc.
- Colorhexa: Provides information about any color.
- Colorhunt.co: Hand-picked color palettes.
- ColourLovers.com: A great site for color geeks.
- Colr.org: Tool to play around with color palettes.
- Coolors.co: Color scheme generator.
- LOLColors: Curated color palette inspiration.
- Paletton.com: Tool to create color palettes based on color theory.
- Palettable: Helps non-designers generate color palettes.
- Pantone color finder: Helps you locate specific Pantone colors.
- Awwwards logo designs: Award-winning logo design inspiration.
- Everything There Is To Know About Logo Design: Useful guide to logo design.
- Logo Design Love: Logos and brand identities.
- LogoLounge: Fresh logo designs, updated daily.
- LogoMoose: Logo design contests and galleries.
- Logo of the day: Inspiration gallery, updated daily.
- Logoed: Branding inspiration for graphic designers.
- Logopond: Millions of logo designs.
- Los Logos 8: Classic compilation of innovative logo designs.
- Minimal logo design inspiration: Simple, clean logo design.
- The Noun Project: A huge icon library.
- The Ultimate Guide to Logo Design: Helpful tips and tricks.
- BitFontMaker: Edit existing fonts or build from scratch.
- Flipping Typical: Review multiple fonts at a time.
- Fontface Ninja: Tool to identify fonts you come across on the web.
- Font Pair: Easily mix and match fonts to see what goes well together.
- Font Shop: Evaluate typography options.
- Font Squirrel: Collection of fonts that are free for commercial use.
- Fontstruct: Build, share, and download fonts.
- IDEO Font Map: Generate new and unusual font pairings.
- Type Navigator: Helps you source fonts and their designers.
- Typetester: Compare different fonts on a page.
- Typeplate: Font starter kit for web designers.
- TypeWonder: Test type styles on website.
- Typewolf: Curated typography inspiration.
- Typogui: Resource for all things typography.
- Wordle: Create word clouds.
Brand Style Guides
- Bootstrap Style Guide Boilerplate: Easy way to generate living style guides semi-automatically.
- Brand Guidelines Template: Simple template to build style guide.
- Brand Style Guide examples: Useful gallery for inspiration.
- Creativity Awards: Award-winning style guide designs.
- Frontify: Tool to create web-based brand manuals.
- StyleGuides: Tools to help you make your own style guide.
We’re always eager to help people find easier ways to do thing. If you want more tools and tips, check out some of our other helpful roundups:
- 101+ resources to make better infographics
- 101 resources for writing great copy
- 100 content marketing resources to make your life easier
- 70+ resources to run a blog
And if you need any extra help designing your own brand identity, let’s chat.